Collecting trips will be limited to the number of people that each site can accommodate safely and everyone must observe the safety protocols, including physical distancing and the wearing of face masks, laid out in those messages. Members failing to observe required safety protocols will be asked to leave and will not be permitted to go on future Club trips. Those members interested in going on a particular trip must contact the indicated trip coordinator prior to the trip.
Code of Ethics for Field Collecting, adapted from the American Federation of Mineral Societies, Inc.
- I will respect both private and public property and will do no collecting on privately owned land without permission from the owner.
- I will keep informed on all laws, regulations or rules governing collecting on public lands and will observe them.
- I will, to the best of my ability, ascertain the boundary lines of property on which I plan to collect.
- I will use no firearms or blasting material in collecting areas.
- I will cause no willful damage to property of any kind such as fences, signs, buildings, etc.
- I will leave all gates as found.
- I will build fires only in designated or safe places and will be certain they are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- I will discard no burning material - matches, cigarettes, etc.
- I will fill all excavation holes which may be dangerous to the health of humans and animals.
- I will not contaminate wells, creeks, or other water supplies.
- I will cause no willful damage to collecting material and will take home only what I can reasonably use.
- I will practice conservation and undertake to utilize fully and well the materials I have collected and will recycle my surplus for the pleasure and benefit of others.
- I will support the rockhound project H.E.L.P. (Help Eliminate Litter Please) and will leave all collecting areas devoid of litter, regardless of how found.
- I will cooperate with field-trip leaders and those in designated authority in all collecting areas.
- I will report to my club or federation officers, Bureau of Land Management or other authorities, any deposit of petrified wood or other materials on public lands which should be protected for the enjoyment of future generations for public educational and scientific purposes.
- I will appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources.
- I will observe the "Golden Rule", will use good outdoor manners and will at all times conduct myself in a manner which will add to the stature and public image of rockhounds everywhere.